Most bathroom drain clogs stem from one source: our hair. We shed hair strands whenever we take a bath, and these can go down the drain and prevent the water from the shower or tub from draining properly. Fortunately, there are ways to deal with this problem. Trusted plumbing and heating repair specialist, R.A. Biel Plumbing & Heating, shares some helpful tips to keep in mind.
1. Brush your hair. If you have long hair or are experiencing hair loss, do this before you step into the shower or bathtub. This will help reduce hairs that may fall off as you take a bath.
2. Use a shower cap. Put your hair up with a shower cup if you’re taking a bath but don’t want to wet your head. It will prevent hair strands from falling and clogging your drains. If you don’t have a shower cap, you can also try pulling your hair up in a bun or a ponytail before taking a shower or soaking in the bathtub.
3. Use a catcher. Make sure the drain in your bathtub or shower has some sort of cover that will catch most hair so strands won’t fall down the drain. If it doesn’t have a catcher, purchase one and have a drain and sewer repair expert install it for you. You can find newer types of catchers that come with features to prevent clogs more effectively while making it easier to clean.
4. Get rid of hair from the drain covers. Make it a habit to remove the hair from the drain covers after you take a bath. It doesn’t matter if it is only a few strands. If you have children, always check the drain covers and clean them after they take their daily bath.
5. Call your local plumbing professional. Schedule drain cleaning at least once a year to ensure your drain pipes are working correctly. Scheduling one with a trusted plumbing contractor will give you peace of mind knowing you’ll also prevent other issues like slow drainage and bad odors.
R.A. Biel Plumbing & Heating is the trusted name in plumbing repairs and installations in Farmington, NM, and the surrounding communities. But when you need air conditioning repair or any HVAC-related service, you can also count on our team to get the job done efficiently. Give us a call at (505) 327-7755, or fill out our convenient contact form.