If you want to keep your pipes clog-free then you need to learn about the things you need to avoid flushing. In today’s article, R.A. Biel Plumbing & Heating, Inc., the top choice for new air conditioning systems in our area, discusses the things that you shouldn’t flush down the toilet if you don’t want a huge plumbing bill.
- Dental Floss – Dental floss can clog your pipes and cause environmental damage. This is because it basically turns into a net once you flush it. The dental floss will catch and hold onto other debris, forming a clog. Dental floss can also wrap around parts of your septic system, causing the motor to burn out.
- Paper Towels and Tissues – Paper towels and tissues might look similar to toilet paper but they are very different when it comes to composition. They are not designed to break down when flushed unlike toilet paper. As a plumbing repair expert, we recommend disposing of paper towels of tissues instead of flushing them down the toilet.
- Baby Wipes – You shouldn’t flush baby wipes, even the ones that claim that they are flushable. Baby wipes can frequently cause clogs because even “flushable” baby wipes don’t break down the same way that toilet paper does.
- Cotton Balls and Q-Tips – These items are definitely not safe to flush because they don’t break down once they enter the pipes. Eventually, they will clump together in your pipes and cause problems.
- Hair – Hair is just like dental floss in that it forms a kind of net when you flush it down the drain. It gets caught on basically everything and it will never dissolve in water. Hair will catch other debris and clog up your pipes.
- Gum – This might be obvious, but chewing gum doesn’t break down in water either. It is also sticky. This means that it will easily adhere to the inside of your pipes. Always throw your gum out in the wastebasket.
- Bleach – You shouldn’t use bleach as part of your regular toilet cleaning routine because it is actually too harsh a chemical for your septic system and toilet. You can remove the stains in your toilet by using vinegar instead.
- Medication – If you have old medication that you need to dispose of, then don’t flush them. Toilet water will not break down medication properly. The medication will get into the water where it can cause harmful environmental effects.
- Cigarette Butts – This is another item that can cause harmful effects. Cigarette butts have toxic chemicals and you don’t want anywhere near the water. They can also cause clogs, so just throw them away properly.
- Kitty Litter – There are some brands of kitty litter that claim that they are flushable, but they are just like the “flushable” baby wipes from earlier. Most toilets do not use enough water to move the kitty litter along properly in your pipes. In addition, toilets are meant to flush water soluble waste. The cat waste from the litter is dehydrated and not water soluble.
- Cooking Grease – Cooking grease congeals when it cools and it doesn’t break down in water. You shouldn’t pour cooking grease down the drain and you shouldn’t pour cooking grease down the toilet either.
R.A. Biel Plumbing & Heating, Inc. is the premier new heating system installation company in our local area. We can also help you with all of your plumbing needs. Our licensed and insured technicians can deal with any kind of plumbing problem and they will complete their work with as little disruption to your schedule as possible. Something can go wrong with your plumbing system at any time, so we also offer 24-hour emergency services. Call us at (505) 327-7755 to learn more about our services and products or to get a free estimate.