During the winter season, the surrounding temperatures can be quite cold, especially if you live in an area that sees snow and ice during this time of the year. With that in mind, it can be quite tempting to crank up the thermostat just to keep your home warm and cozy. Unfortunately, that can cause your bills to spike up as your heating system will be working harder than it should. Thankfully, there are ways to keep your home warm without having to resort to this.
In this article, the HVAC repair pros of R.A. Biel Plumbing and Heating lists six tips to help you keep your home warm without having to crank up your thermostat to the max, starting with:
- Utilize Your Ceiling Fans – If you have ceiling fans in your home, you can use them to control the flow of heat and make it warmer. If you have spinners, set your ceiling fan to rotate clockwise to force hot air downward to warm up your home.
- . Seal Your Basement – Believe it or not, sealing your basement can help warm your home without resorting to the use of the thermostat. This is because by properly sealing your basement, you can prevent cold air from entering your home in the first place. While you’re at it, consider installing a water heater jacket and insulate the first three feet of your water heater’s pipes as well to increase its efficiency
- Look for Air Leaks – You can also hunt for air leaks around your home if you want to keep your home warmer during the winter season. To do so, examine your doors and windows to see if their weatherstripping has any wear like cracks or peeling. If they do, hire a professional to remove the old material and replace it with a new one to prevent air leaks
- Check Your Ventilation – Apart from the aforementioned tips, HVAC repair experts also recommend that you examine your home’s ventilation as well if you want a warmer home. Be sure to open any vents and remove the dust and obstructions that may have built up during the year. By doing so, you’ll be able to free up the air flow and maintain a comfortable temperature
- Be Strategic With Window Treatments – As for your windows, make sure to be strategic about your blinds and curtains to keep your home warm. Figure out which side of your house receives sun and during the daylight hours, uncover the windows on this side to let in light and heat. At night, make sure to cover the windows to prevent heat from leaking out to keep your home warmer
- Install a Smart Thermostat – Finally, you can also install a smart thermostat in your home to regulate your home’s heat in a more precise manner.
Need a professional to clean your air ducts? Simply turn to R.A. Biel Plumbing and Heating. When it comes to air duct cleaning and heating services, we are the leading professionals to approach and we won’t let you down! Give us a call at (505) 327-7755 or fill out our contact form to get a free estimate.