As a homeowner, you can expect your home to face a myriad of problems as you live in it through the years. According to HVAC maintenance experts, one of the issues that you definitely don’t want your home to face is problems when it comes to your ductless mini-split air conditioner. After all, without it, your home can become uncomfortable very quickly, especially during the summer season. With that in mind, it’s always best to be familiar with the issues your ductless mini-split AC may face and how to solve them.
Here are a few troubleshooting tips for five different problems your ductless mini-split air conditioner can experience.
1. Unusual noises – Noise is normal for mechanical units such as air conditioners. However, ductless mini-split ACs are usually pretty quiet, and as such, if you begin to hear noises like clanking, banging, squealing, humming, thumping or screeching from your air conditioning unit, it’s likely there’s a problem with the system. These problems can range from bent or dirty fan blades to debris build-up that causes friction with the other components. To rectify this issue, simply have a professional clean the unit and tighten any parts that may have come loose.
2. A foul odor – If your air conditioner begins to emit a foul odor, this is a sign that the unit is dirty inside, and may even indicate mold and mildew growth. This occurs when the condensate water that the evaporator coils produce mixes with the dirt that builds up in your air conditioning unit, developing mold as a result. Once the stagnant water and mold builds up, your air filter becomes dirty and clogged, emitting a bad odor in the process. Luckily, HVAC repair pros say this can easily be fixed by simply having your ductless mini-split AC’s air filters cleaned along with the condensate drain line and pan.
3. The unit isn’t powering on – An air conditioning unit that fails to power on is a cause for concern. Thankfully, there are a few troubleshooting tips that you can apply to rectify this issue. First, check the plug to make sure it hasn’t been unplugged by a family member– and double-check to see if it’s securely pushed into the outlet. If that doesn’t work, then consider checking your home’s power supply, as it’s possible a fuse may have blown or you might be experiencing a power outage. Finally, consider checking the batteries of your ductless mini-split AC unit to see if that’s the problem. If none of these efforts work, then it’s best to call a professional so they can properly diagnose your air conditioning problems.
4. The unit isn’t running correctly – Alternatively, if your unit isn’t running correctly, try to reset and restart the unit by turning it off and unplugging it for a few minutes. If that doesn’t do the trick, check if your air conditioning unit is displaying an error code. If there is any, look up what the code means in your manual to see what the problem is. If the problem indicated is beyond the scope of your abilities, then enlist the services of a professional to fix the problem for you.
5. The unit isn’t cooling properly – If you notice that your ductless split-mini air conditioning unit isn’t cooling properly, be sure to check your temperature setting, as it’s possible that it was set incorrectly. Be sure that the device is set to cool and is dialled in to the correct temperature. Make certain that the windows and doors are closed as well to prevent the cold air produced by your unit from escaping. If neither method works, however, check the filter to see if it’s dirty and in need of cleaning or a replacement.
Are you looking for someone who can help you maintain or repair your ductless mini-split air conditioning unit? If so, don’t hesitate to turn to R.A. Biel Plumbing & Heating, the number one service provider to approach when it comes to your air duct cleaning and air conditioning needs. Give us a call at (505) 327-7755 or fill out our contact form to get a free estimate on new installations.